The Promenade Gallery
The Art of Humanity - July 8 - September 9, 2022
I come from Kobe, Japan, where I was a professional musician. After I moved to Seattle in 1986, my passion for fine art flourished. I began painting and studied portraiture, landscapes, color and composition. Currently I paint imaginary landscapes as well as abstractions. I often paint from current events in the world as an inspiration. But I paint in abstract form rather than a journalistic way. My landscapes are personal "mindscapes," inspired by local hikes in the mountains surrounding Seattle and my everyday experiences here in Seattle.
I was born to a Vietnamese mother and a Korean father and was later adopted by my all-American stepdad. Our family left Vietnam a few months before the fall of Saigon. As a youngster, I had the privilege of living in several different states in the U.S., as well as in other countries including Iran and Saudi Arabia, before we finally settled down in the Puget Sound area where, as an adult, I went on to study painting at the University of Washington.
Some of the subjects I keep returning to are:
- Technology and its world impact
- Making art from typically discarded things
- DIY culture
The Shapes of Our Community Art Show seeks artwork from queer and LGBTQIA+ artists that conveys the shapes and emotions of community. Specifically, this art show aims to highlight queer and LGBTQIA+ artists and their evolving artistic experience in answering the following questions:
- How do you experience your community as a queer artist?
- How does your art interact with the queer community?
All artwork must be artist's own, must be framed or ready to hang, must pertain to the theme, and be suitable for the Youngstown community and DNDA's mission. Our mission is Integrating Art, Nature, and Neighborhood to build and sustain a dynamic Delridge. Please click here to learn more about DNDA, and click here to learn more about Youngstown.
- Artist may submit up to three pieces of 2D art - visual
- Visual art size limit 36x24 per piece
- Art sales processed by email request to Youngstown Manager/Curator; DNDA to remit payment to artist less 20% commission
- Artist responsible for drop-off and pick-up as requested
Location: The Promenade Gallery at Youngstown Cultural Arts Center
- $150 artist stipend included. We are looking to select up to 3 artists.
- Submission deadline September 13, 2022 - *Existing work recommended. Submit to email@example.com
- Exhibition period September 19 - November 18, 2022
- Submissions reviewed and approved by Youngstown Manager Erika Bell / Curator Nelson Lu
Please email us here!